Native Health Care California
The Indian Health Service has a search tool to find local health care facilities for natives. Additionally, each facility is sorted by region on the following pages.
If you use the search tool, it is best to search by the county you live in or a neighboring county.
Covered California and Affordable Care Act Benefits for Alaska Natives
- Alaska Natives who earn less than 300 percent of the federal poverty level for a family of four will not have to pay certain out-of-pocket medical costs, such as copays and deductibles, if they purchase health insurance coverage through Covered California
- There are no copays or deductibles for any covered services received directly through the federal Indian Health Service, tribes, tribal organizations or urban American Indian organizations
- Alaska Natives can buy or change health insurance plans once a month through Covered California and are not subject to open-enrollment periods
- Alaska Natives who are eligible for services through an Indian Health Service provider are eligible from an exemption from the shared responsibility payment (the tax penalty consumers pay if they do not have minimum essential health coverage). Click here for more exemption information.
More information can be found on CoveredCa.com.
Claim a Health Care Exemption for Alaska Natives Eligible for Indian Health Services
- You claim this exemption when you file your federal income taxes. Most people file their taxes in April of the following year.
- On Form 8965, enter code “E” in Part III, column (c). Identify the months this exemption applies or select (d) for the full year.
- Include Form 8965 when you file your tax return.
Important Note: Starting with the 2019 plan year (for which you’ll file taxes in April 2020), the fee no longer applies. If you don’t have coverage during 2019 or later, you don’t need an exemption in order to avoid the penalty.
For more information and questions visit HealthCare.gov.
Beginning in 2020, California residents must have qualifying health insurance coverage or pay a penalty when filing a state tax return. You can claim an exemption for being an Enrolled Member of a Federally-Recognized Alaska Native Tribe.
Learn more at CoveredCa.com.